Microsoft Dynamics® CRM Training
Clearing the Form Cache
An error occurred while loading the video. Please try again.
The December 2012 Service Update introduced new flow forms to the Account, Case, Contact, Lead, and Opportunity entities. In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, multiple form definitions can be created per entity. For example, there could be multiple forms for the Account entity, with each form serving a specific purpose. Depending on their Security Roles, users can have access to more than one form in an entity. Different forms can serve a specific purpose, each presenting different kinds of data regarding a single record.
Once a user opens a form, Microsoft Dynamics CRM stores information about the last form used for each entity. This way, each time a user opens a record, Dynamics CRM displays the form they last used for that entity. Let's say you open the "A" form for an Account, switch to the "B" form, and then close the record. The next Account record you open will be displayed in the "B" form. This tracking of form history is the "cache", as referenced in the title of this tutorial.
This is key, because the new forms are an addition to the existing forms you may have already created. If your organization had three forms for the Account entity before the update, it would gain a fourth after the update. However, due to the form cache, users may not see the new forms when they open a record. For example, if they opened an Account record before the update, Dynamics CRM would have remembered the form type they last used. So when the update is applied, your organization will have the new forms, but existing users may have to manually switch to them.
The form order is a list that determines the priority of forms for each entity. In a Dynamics CRM instance created after the December 2012 Service Update, the new forms are first on the form order by default. This means that when a user opens an Account record for the first time, the new form automatically opens. The form order can be configured to your desired preference.
It’s good to know that forms open for users based on the privileges of their Security Roles. If a user does not have permission to open the form at the top of the order, the next available one on the list opens instead.
Here are the steps the System Admin can take to switch the form order of an entity, as well as the steps to clear the form cache so that users can see the new forms by default:
Switching the form order:
- Navigate to Settings > Customizations > Customize the System.
- Drill down into the forms any of the applicable entities (Account > Forms in this example).
- Select the new form, which is titled “Account” (you can tell which one is the new form by reading the description).
- Click Form Order > Main Form Set in the toolbar to open the Form Order window.
- Make sure the Account form is at the top of the list by using the green arrows, and then click the OK button.
- You must publish the entity for the customization to take effect.
Clearing the form cache:
- Navigate to Settings > Administration > Product Updates.
- Click the second link: “Enable the new forms”.
- Read the notification and then click Yes to continue.
- The forms are enabled and you can click Continue.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, please refer to the Success Portal or our xRM.com blog.