Microsoft Dynamics® CRM Training
Custom Posts for Activity Feeds
An error occurred while loading the video. Please try again.
In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, Activity feeds can be of great value. They present Users with real time updates regarding various actions taken on records they own or are following. This keeps them constantly in the loop.
A Post Rule in Microsoft Dynamics CRM is what triggers a post. For example, there is only one out-of-the-box Post Rule for the Account entity: New Account. A post appears on the Account’s Wall when it is created.
What if we need a rule that posts on the Account record’s Wall whenever the Owner changes. Well, we can’t create an actual Post Rule, but we can create a Workflow that essentially functions as one.
Creating a custom Post Rule via a Workflow
- Navigate to Settings > Process Center > Processes and then click New in the toolbar.
- In the Process: New dialog, name the process, choose the entity, and select “Workflow” in the Category field. Click the OK button to close the dialog and proceed to the Process form.
- Choose your Scope, and indicate when you want the Workflow to start.
- Click Add Step and select “Create Record”
- In the dropdown, select “Post”, and then click the Set Properties button.
- The Post form opens where you can enter the text, dynamic values and choose other settings. If you want to insert a dynamics value in the form of a link, as most posts in Activity Feeds do, be sure to select “Post URL (Dynamic)” in the second dropdown of the Look for area in the Form Assistant.
- Click Save and Close when you’ve configured the Post.
- Back at the Process form, click the save icon, and then click Activate in the toolbar.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, please refer to the Success Portal and blog.xrm.com.