Microsoft Dynamics® CRM Training
Standardizing State/Province Fields
An error occurred while loading the video. Please try again.
In CRM Online, the State/Province fields for records like Contacts, Leads, and Accounts are single lines of text. This means that Users manually type the data into the field. This can lead to confusion and inconsistencies in an organization if data is entered differently. For example, a one User might enter “WA”, another “Wash”, and another “Washington”.
This can be detrimental to things like Advanced Find results and Dynamic Marketing Lists because results may not be accurate. One way to avoid this is by standardizing this field by replacing it with a global option set.
This task requires a Security Role of System Administrator or equivalent privileges.
Creating the Global Option Set
- Navigate to Settings > Customization > Customizations, and then click Customize the System
- The Solution window opens, click Option Sets in the left pane and then click New.
- The Option Set window opens, give it a Display Name
- Enter each state as an Option by clicking the green plus sign and labeling it appropriately. The options appear in the order you enter them. Use the green arrows to reorder options as you see fit
- Click Save and Close to create the Global Option Set
Creating the Global Option Set field
- Create a new field (in this lesson we do this from the form editor)
- When the Field form opens, give it a Display Name
- In the Type field select Option Set
- Select Use Existing Option Set
- In the dropdown, select your new Option Set
- Click Save and Close
- Insert the field in the form, save and publish your customizations
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, please refer to the Success Portal and blog.xrm.com.