Microsoft Dynamics® CRM Training
An error occurred while loading the video. Please try again.
In Microsoft Dynamics CRM, custom entities are given a default icon that looks like a gear. If you have several custom entities in the navigation pane it can look monotonous because they’ll all have the same icon. You can differentiate them visually by updating their icons with unique graphics of your choosing. In this lesson, we demonstrate how to update an icon for a custom entity.
The first step in this process obviously is picking your graphic. In this lesson, we’re going to use the xRM.com company logo.
Once you’ve got your graphic, you need to make two versions of it, each a different size. Microsoft Paint is a great tool to use for this. The first size should be 16x16 pixels; this is for the Web application icon. The second should be 32x32 pixels; this will be the shortcut icon in Dynamics CRM for Outlook. To resize the image, simply open it in Paint, click Resize in the ribbon, uncheck the Maintain aspect ratio box, select Pixels, and then set the Horizontal and Vertical fields to the necessary number.
We recommend saving the each file with a unique name that includes the image size. This makes it easier to choose the right file in Dynamics CRM.
Now that we have our two files saved locally, it’s time to create a Web Resource in Dynamics CRM. There are two ways to do this, the first being the method outlined in the “Creating a Web Resource” lesson, which is also located in the Success Portal. The second is from the Webpage dialog that you complete when updating your icon in Dynamics CRM. In this lesson we’re going to do the former, but we’ll explain the latter.
Updating an Icon
- Navigate to Settings > Customize > Customizations, and then click Customize the System.
- When the Default Solution window open, drill down to the entity you want to update and select it.
- Click Update Icons in the toolbar.
- The Update Icons window opens. In the Icon in Web application area, select the 16x16 pixels image.
- In the Icon for Entity Forms area, select the 32x32 pixels image.
- Click the OK button, and then publish your customizations.
Creating a Web Resource
- Navigate to Settings > Customization > Customizations, and then clicking Customize the System.
- The Default Solution window opens. In the left pane, navigate to Components > Web Resources.
- In the Type field, indicate the file type you are uploading. It can be an image, an HTML file, a Silverlight control, or a Jscript library.
- In the Upload File field, click Browse to select the file. Click Save in the ribbon.
- The form refreshes. You can now preview the Web Resource by clicking Preview in the ribbon.
- You must publish your customization before you can use it.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, please refer to the Success Portal and blog.xrm.com.