Microsoft Dynamics® CRM Training
Web Resources in Flow Forms
An error occurred while loading the video. Please try again.
The December 2012 Service Update introduced new flow forms for the Account, Case, Contact, Lead, and Opportunity entities. They are process-driven forms that provide inline editing, eliminate popups, and focus on relevant data. Currently, there are some limitations to the extensibility of these forms; there is no native support for scripting events for example. However, the new forms are customizable in a number of ways, one of which is that they support Web Resources.
The flow forms can render all form-enabled Web Resources, like HTML, Silverlight, and images. In this lesson, we customize the flow form for the Case entity by adding the xRM.com company logo to it, just to give it a nice, professional aesthetic. These steps can be followed for any other flow form as well. Before you begin, it’s good to create the Web Resource.
Creating a Web Resource
- Navigate to Settings > Customization > Customizations, and then click Customize the System.
- The Default Solution window opens. Navigate to Components > Web Resources, and then click New in the toolbar.
- The Web Resource form opens. Fill in the required information and any other relevant data.
- In the Type field, designate what kind of Web Resource this will be (PNG format in this lesson).
- Upload the file by clicking the Browse… button.
- Save and Close the form.
Adding a Web Resource to a flow form
- Open the form where you want to insert the Web Resource. At the time of this lesson, only the Account, Case, Contact, Lead, and Opportunity entities support flow forms.
- In the command bar, click the ellipsis, and then click Form Editor.
- The Form Editor opens. Select the section for the body where you want to place the Web Resource.
- In the ribbon, click the Insert tab, and then click Web Resource.
- The Add Web Resource dialog opens. In the Web resource field, select the existing resource. If it is not already uploaded to your organization, click the lookup icon, and then click the New button in the Look Up Record dialog. Then follow steps 3-6 outlined above.
- Populate the Name and Label fields.
- In the Visibility section, you can decide if you want this resource to be visible by default, and visible in a read-optimized form.
- When you are finished modifying the Web Resource, click the OK button to return to the Form Editor.
- Click Save, and then Publish your customizations.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, please refer to the Success Portal and blog.xrm.com.